Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Why PLCs are important?

As part of my masters class at Walden, we got into a discussion on Professional Learning Communities or PLCs. As this has become an extension of my PLC, I thought it was the perfect time to reflect on their importance. The following is my discussion from the class:


When I was in my student teaching, I was working with a teacher who was very straight forward when it came to English. When I first met him, he introduced me to the other teachers in the department and said of one of them “This is Debbie. If you want to do touchy, feely, emotion Language Arts stuff, you better talk to her. I don’t do that kind of stuff.” Don’t get me wrong, I think the world of my mentor even to this day, but that was the extent of our professional learning community. We were a team of two and if there was anything else I needed it was down the hall and I would have to seek it out myself. 

As DuFour (2004) states, “Despite compelling evidence indicating that working collaboratively represents best practice … the staff's willingness to collaborate often stops at the classroom door” (pg. 3). My first experiences in the classroom were reflective of this mentality. What happened in your classroom was your business and did not pertain to your peers next door as long as they covered what needed to be covered. When I got my first teaching job, however, I was greeted with what Wilson (2005) refers to as the “village mentality.” No longer were my students just English 10 students. They were social studies, math, music, and art students as well. They were former English 9 students who were bound for English 11. What happened in my classroom touched each of their subjects and if the “village” did not come together, how were we expected to raise an effective student. When Wilson (2005) says “The synchronization of adults and youth is key to young people’s involvement at any level. If adults fail to affirm the significance of youth by providing access, support, and safe opportunities for honest participation, they miss the chance to be part of a ‘joint rhythm’ and youth contributions will be no more than an appearance” (pg. 98). This is where PLCs become important.

I have been lucky in my current school to have common collaborative time with my entire department. As a result, we meet once a week as 10th grade teachers, once a week as 12th grade teachers, once a week with my mentor, and once a week as a department. We are lucky enough that this planning time is in addition to our personal planning period. Through this PLC, we have grown leaps and bounds. We are able to develop comment assessments and look at the data. If my students don’t do as well as Teacher A, Teacher A and I can look at how she approached teaching it and I can reflect and adjust accordingly. These periods also allow time for me to work with my department regarding district wide initiatives. As Niesz (2007) argues, these moments are both rewarding and beneficial to all involved because they allow for fluency of instruction.

My district also has a first year teacher program that brings teachers who are new to the district together once a month to discuss common issues to those new to the district and new to teaching. This mentor based program also allows for the new teachers to meet alone to share experiences they may be too embarrassed to discuss with a more experienced faculty member for fear of sounding wrong. These discussions have made me feel like I am not alone in the occasional question or concern. This personal interaction has been an important one.

The best thing about blogging has been that connection to PLCs outside of my school. My blog (www.mrwagnersbigquestion.blogspot.com) has been a way to express and share my ideas as an educator with people that I may never have had the chance to interact with. In fact, I’ll be sharing this discussion post on my blog as well under the question, “Why are PLCs important?” Through feedback from peers both at my school and in other states, I can create a PLC that doesn’t have boundaries, perhaps one of the most valuable things in the world. Having these connections allows me to learn from others, even if we may be worlds apart. I hope to continue the blog as a way of both self-reflecting and connecting with others.

PLCs are able to do more than one person can accomplish. They bring together like minded and unlike minded people and ask them to work together. The interactions, questions and reflections are key to making a functioning educational community (DuFour, 2004).

References:

DuFour, R. (2004). Schools as learning communities. Educational Leadership, 61(8), 6–11. Retrieved

Niesz, T. (2007). Why teacher networks (can) work. Phi Delta Kappan, 88, 605–610. Retrieved May 24,
             2007, from http://www.pdkintl.org/kappan/k_v88/k0704.htm
            Used by permission of Phi Delta Kappan and Tricia Niesz, PhD

Wilson, H. (2005). If it takes a village to raise a child, how many children does it take to raise a village?
             U.S. Department of Health & Human Services. Retrieved from ttp://cydjournal.org/2005Fall/pdf/  
            Wilson_Article.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment