Saturday, July 13, 2013

Week 2 Blog: Tech Triumph

          Despite being raised in one of the first generations to have personal computers in the house, I have found that when it comes to the classroom, the world of technology is constantly changing and requires that we remain actively engaged. As Cennamo, Ross and Ertmer (2009) point out, educators who hope to prepare their students for the world outside their classroom, they must first understand what that world needs in regards to skill. When looking through the NETS-T indicators, I was encouraged to realize that there were some indicators that I did feel comfortable that I am currently meeting within my classroom.
            However, there are a few spots where I would like to focus my skills. The first skill I would like to focus on is what NETS-T (2012) describes as providing “students with multiple and varied formative and summative assessments aligned with content and technology standards and use resulting data to inform learning and teaching” (page 1). In order to achieve this goal, I will need to first look at what assessment techniques are available to me that can help me monitor understanding. I will do this by first selecting a unit of study for my students and looking at which assessment tools I currently use. I will then look to pair these current assessments with a form of technology. My progress will be monitored and evaluated by trying to implement one of these new assessment techniques with a group of students in order to compare their effectiveness with the previous assessment. By the end of my goal, I should have an entire unit of formative and summative techniques.
       Besides technology in my classroom, I need to look beyond the confines of my building. NETS-T describe this skill as the ability to “Communicate relevant information and ideas effectively to students, parents, and peers using a variety of digital age media and formats” (page 1). In order to achieve this goal, I will need to work on exploring the options for me to utilize in communicating with those connected to my classroom. I will begin by looking at ways to utilize my school classroom webpage, my Twitter account, my Facebook account, and email list serves to better communicate with parents and students. I will monitor my progress by establishing the forms of communication and practicing how I will utilize them. Being able to remove the walls of my classroom through technology allows anyone connected to it to have access any time of day, which will show ultimate success as a goal.
         Technology has changed drastically since the first time I sat at my parent’s computer. As Theroux (2013) point out, “Computers were originally thought to be programming tools only useful for the technically inclined.  Later,  it was thought that computers would replace teachers and all that was needed was really good software. But experience has taught us that this just is not so” (page 1). Instead of robot teachers, we now see that technology has simply helped us become better educators.

 Reference:
Cennamo, K., Ross, J. & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom
         use: A standards-based approach. (Laureate Education, Inc., Custom ed.). Belmont, CA:      
        Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Southwest Educational Development Laboratory. (1999). Using technology to enhance learning.
          Retrieved from http://www.sedl.org/pubs/tec26/classtech.html

Theroux, P. (2011). Enhance learning with technology. Retrieved from
          http://members.shaw.ca/priscillatheroux/index.htm

2 comments:

  1. Aloha Chris- I've found that the best way to communicate with parents is through my classroom website, http://teacherweb.com/HI/HaleKulaElementary/H4-MrsPutzulu/newsflash2.aspx. What is helpful is bouncing ideas off of colleagues for the newest strategies and latest technology they use to help you keep current of best practices and programs. Also special interest groups are great for sharing the latest updates for your content area. Good luck in your searching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christine!

    Seeing your classroom website was a big help! I always find it helpful to see what other people are posting on the websites because it is so essential for partnerships with parents. I agree that colleagues are often the best resource we have. I consider the Walden PLC part of my bigger learning network and appreciate your being a part of it!

    Best,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete